Thursday, July 21, 2011

Small Success Thursday

It's Thursday and today, we take stock of the past week; of the small things we did that were in fact, big victories.  Motherhood is replete with these sorts of victories, over pounds, laundry, bills, homework, splinters and drawings on the wall.  If we do not recognize that these small daily things reveal sacrifice, devotion and love, we will succumb to the despair brought on by dull joyless dutiful grunt work.  All service must be love, or it exhausts more than the body.  But the trick is, we have to be mindful of what we do if we are to serve out of love; absent that mindfulness, we can turn what is supposed to be a gift into drudgery.  We don't always, but it's an easy slip I know for me.   

With that in mind, today we celebrate the little things we did with great love.  Please join in and visit the others who participate.  Use Mr. Linky and on your own blog, list three or more ways in which this week, by grace, humor, determination and love, you were victorious over minutia, dust bunnies, errands and the demands of modern life.  Then leave a comment.

This week I:

1) Took four kids to get hair cuts.

2) did a one on one shopping (Borders) with my daughter that probably is most hungry for this sort of time. Told her to ask me to do it again. She beamed.

3) Visited with my sister and we promised to go to adoration in our separate towns. (I made it last night!) The best description I have for being in front of the Blessed Sacrament, is Oasis.  You don't realize how thirsty  you are until you drink.

4) Thought the reading with kids would get derailed by last week's vacation (it was great by the way), but we picked back up and I can't wait for them to find out what happened to Eustance on Dragon Island tomorrow. 

5) Will meet this morning with my daughter's teachers to discuss learning styles and teaching strategies. 

6) Let a few go to see Harry Potter on their own, they loved it. --though oldest son said when Voldemort hugs Malfoy --most awkward hug ever.  (Three rows behind him snorted their sodas). We're going tonight. (Date Night).

7) Didn't gain weight on vacation --a victory of not going backwards.

Now it's your turn.

*****ARGH! Mr. Linky failed me.  :P
Here's Mr. Linky. 





I'll put all the blogs who commented onto Mr. Linky. Thanks!
(Had a morning meeting and a 12:00 appt. so I couldn't check the blog until 2 or I would have corrected this sooner). 

15 comments:

Kristen @ St Monica's Bridge said...

SUPER IMPRESSED with not gaining weight over vacation :). I didn't see Mr. Linky so I wanted to leave my link here: http://wp.me/pViX7-uz
Have a great week!

Therese said...

Great week Sherri. Here is the link to my small successes. I couldn't see the linky thing on your post.

http://aussiecoffeeshop.blogspot.com/2011/07/small-successes-and-thankful-thursday_21.html

Unknown said...

Great week!!

Also, mr linky not appearing on the blog :(

Judy Dudich said...

Fantastic week for you! WOW! Way to go! Thanks for hosting!

Judy Dudich said...

Sorry. I don't see the linky for today's post. I'll just place my entry here if that's ok:

http://thankfulwoman.blogspot.com/2011/07/small-successes_21.html

Is it just me? Am I missing it somewhere? ::shakes head at self and rolls eyes::

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

Thanks for hosting!

You may have to head back to Borders again, since they will all be closing! I'm planning to hit some of the sales.

Did I miss the linky?

Sahmatwork said...

Wow, these are great successes.....reminds me to visit nearby Adoration Chapel. It's been a while, and I know I always have such peace after a great visit with Him! Nice Job!

Barbara said...

Hi! It's been a long time since I posted a "small success", and the first time since it moved to your blog. How do I get the button code? And I don't see a Mr. Linky for tying my post here. Please help! Thanks.

Monica said...

Blessings and great week!

Barbara said...

Thanks for fixing the links. I've linked my blog to your specific post, too.

Are folks still using the button? Should I look for the code on F&F? Thanks.

Mary B said...

No weight gain! Awesome!

*kate said...

Wow, great week! Have fun on date night - I'm jealous you're going to see HP :)

Nichole said...

Hi, I just found your blog today, this is such a cool idea I had to participate :)

Maria said...

Great job on no vacation weight gain! Super success!

I love one on one time w/ the munchkins. It really helps build our relationships when they don't have to compete for attention.

Unknown said...

SO its Saturday here....better late then never! lol! Cheers Sue http://notenoughbutter.blogspot.com

Leaving a comment is a form of free tipping. But this lets me purchase diet coke and chocolate.

If you sneak my work, No Chocolate for You!