Monday, August 15, 2011

Bow Before My Brain...or Not.

Yesterday, the impossible happened.

My daughter asked for help on algebra.

That wasn't the impossible part.

I agreed.

That was ...out of character.

She showed me her equation.

I pounded it out in less than a minute.  "Is this the answer?" I asked. That was amazing.

She checked the work.  "Okay, what about this one? I've been trying and trying and trying.

"Is this the answer?"

When she read aloud the equation, I took the moment to do a victory lap, to wahoo and to pump my fist. I'd done math.  I'd done sophomore math.  Those dusty brain cells still knew how to bang out a quadratic equation.  Bask in my smarty smartiness, I am Mom, I know math...go ahead...hit me again.

She read me a word problem. 
Back to Earth and Reality.

1 comment:

matthew archbold said...

My brain doesn't see shapes. If there are two intersecting shapes my mind just sees lots o' lines and angles.

My kids love asking me for help with shape problems and they laugh as I stare at it. (Nice kids, huh?)

Leaving a comment is a form of free tipping. But this lets me purchase diet coke and chocolate.

If you sneak my work, No Chocolate for You!