Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I Think I Made a Mistake

Last week, I went shopping for groceries at a new store and spied what I thought was a bargain, a 36 value pack of yoo-hoo drinks for 10 bucks.  My kids love these things.  I grabbed one thinking, if I put one in each of their lunch boxes each day, that's 7x5 --35, it leaves one left over and it makes packing the snacky part of their lunch (what do I have that's good?) question so easy.

Alas, I did not anticipate my 4 year old's lust for chocolate even in a diluted form to rival my own.

Within two hours of unpacking, he'd learned where they were stored and snagged one.  I did not raise an alarm, 35 were still ready to go. No biggie.

  Within one day, he'd become the bartender bringing drinks to all his siblings. They praised his ingenuity, his self reliance, and his thoughtfulness in bringing them drinks as well.  As the courier of these confections, he scored himself a second round.  We are at 25 and it is Sunday.

Monday rolls around, I load up the lunches.  Seeing the stash go down by six causes a momentary panic in my son, so he helps himself to one for breakfast while I'm making the sandwiches.  I have to resupply the lunch he just raided.  We are at 18.

After returning to the refrigerator the multiple yoo-hoo's he's brought to me in the course of the day as a means of advertising, I want to drink this all day until I explode, I weaken and we both indulge in a 5 o'clock pick me up drink.  A grave error in judgement on my part, as it sets off a cascade of kiddos running to get their own hit.  I call a truce, surrender my own to the kindergartner dearly afraid she'll get squeezed out of her treat in the rush, and control the damage.  We are down to 12.

Tuesday I deliberately blocked access to the garage via a load of towels awaiting a free spot in the dryer.  (Good luck with that).    He dumped them to get to his true love and brought back extra for his sister.  10.
I put up two stacks of wet laundry.  He climbed over them.  A gate, two loads of wet towels and I put the drinks on top of the refrigerator.  I caught him bringing the step ladder toward the laundry room exit to the garage.  I have come to know that yoo-hoo is the snack equivalent of toddler crack and woe to the adult who thinks she can stand between him and his fix.  Rather than risk his neck, I gave him and his sister a drink for lunch. 8.  

Then I do a recount and discover, his brothers have also performed a raid from the back.  We really only have 4.

Bottom line? I will need to come up with another snack by tomorrow if not sooner.  My grandmother's wisdom come drifting unbidden to the front of my brain. She raised 9 so I take her  advise seriously, "I have yet to buy my first bargain." She meant it about not being cheap with the things that are important...but I'm beginning to think...me too.   Me too.  I surrender, handing the two toddlers their yoo-hoos.  They dance around me in joy. We will be going back to the store today.

But before I go to make that extra trip, if I'm going to have to, I'm getting the last yoo-hoo all to myself.


3 comments:

Kristen @ St Monica's Bridge said...

Oh how I can relate. We tried an experiment with snack boxes last year. The boys got their boxes replenished each Monday and that was it for the week. Once they ran out, fruit only. Except one boy snuck his snack box out on Monday and down the street to a neighbor's where the neighbor's two kids ate the entire contents of his snack box. Did I pitch a fit to the mother (even though both children were older than him and clearly took advantage)? No, I left him with nothing but fruit all week which I was rewarded with screaming and tantrum throwing for the remainder of the week. My husband threw out the snack boxes after that. He couldn't handle the pressure.

Unknown said...

The day after Halloween this year, I set the candy collecting jack-o-lanters on the table and said "Have at it. Because once it's gone, it's gone and I can't stand one more request for candy."

What? It relieved me from lunch duty (and from annoying requests for food).

:)

Melanie Jean Juneau said...

So funny. My kids often used a wiry preschool sibling to snatch treats. Usually though they counted everything, right down to the last raisin, skittle,....

Leaving a comment is a form of free tipping. But this lets me purchase diet coke and chocolate.

If you sneak my work, No Chocolate for You!