Thursday, August 2, 2012

Happy Dog Days of Summer!

The dog days of summer are upon us and I've noticed some behaviors that are not strictly speaking, healthy, smart or acceptable.   I wish to clarify without lecturing so let me put them in a 10 point rule format.

10) Bedtime is not cruel or unusual. 

9) We will not eat out every day or even every week. Deal.

8) Lack of an event on the schedule does not equal an invitation to propose six. 

7) Breakfast service ends at 9 a.m.  Lunch opens at 11:30 and closes at 1. (See, I'm reasonable).  Snack is a sometimes thing, and dinner is at 6-7.   I promise, you won't starve.  Now get out of the refrigerator.

6) Sleeping until noon will earn dinner dish duty.  It will still be earned if you get up at 11:58.  (or close enough).  

5) You must shower daily, as well as see to all other necessary hygine.  (Sorry, them's the breaks).

4) The Internet, TV, Computer, Kindle, DVD player and Wii all have off switches.  Coincidentally, when you turn them off, your brain starts working.  (Useful for summer reading). 

3) Being bored does not mean "Let's poke our sister until she screams."

2) Just because homework isn't being assigned doesn't mean chores don't still need to be done. 

1) I don't stay on you to exercise, read, wash, do your math and take care of things because I enjoy being a Matronly Goblin task master, trust me, I'd rather write, swim, shop, surf the net, sun, eat out and nap too. I just know, if I leave you to sink or swim, I'm supposed to be the lifeguard, so I'm trying to help you learn how to do more than tread water.   

P.S. Swimming lessons start next week.  

No comments:

Leaving a comment is a form of free tipping. But this lets me purchase diet coke and chocolate.

If you sneak my work, No Chocolate for You!