Sunday, January 3, 2021

Christmas is Not Over Yet

I'd been at the table working on sorting bills, trying to get ready for the work week to come, because most of the house is not yet up. Honestly, I felt the drag of life and not the joy of the season. My husband even warned me, "Don't let yourself get stressed today, I don't want you Marthaing." It might have been more effective if I wasn't at the time, hunting for an outfit for my youngest in the laundry. Someone had jumped the line for the dryer. He took three to mass and I was to supervise those who watched it at home. My heart felt lost, tired and like I didn't want to even get started. I decided to let people sleep. We'd have mass when everyone woke.

Scrolling through and deleting emails, checking my notes and notifications, I heard the familiar strains of "In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" from the other room. Paul had come down and turned on the mass by himself. It requires the right remote and accessing Youtube and finding the mass. I still struggle because I don't get if I use the Xbox or the cable or what. I couldn't believe it. Here was my twelve year old son, turning on the mass without me having said a word. His heart knew, today was Sunday, today we watch the mass. He'd found it on his own,

With this little little action, Paul reminded me, Christmas is not over yet.

We sat for the beginning and he stopped. He went upstairs to get dressed for the day. He came back with stuffed animals. He brings them with him to watch tv or play video games when his brothers and sisters aren't with him.
I went and woke the house so they could get ready, and we could have mass. They came. Grumbling, sleepy, some still in pj's but they came. We watched the whole mass, and some who hadn't gone, drifted in and out...and all I could think was, "And a little child shall lead them."
Let us go and adore Him. Oh come oh come Emmanuel.



No comments:

Leaving a comment is a form of free tipping. But this lets me purchase diet coke and chocolate.

If you sneak my work, No Chocolate for You!