Friday, July 4, 2014

7 Quick Takes

1.  Happy 4th of July!   Having just spent this past Tuesday visiting the Baltimore Basilica for an upcoming article, I thought it important to remind people of these less famous words.

"The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for, among old parchments, or musty records.  They are written, as with a sun beam in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by mortal power." --Alexander Hamilton 1775

The Declaration of Independence was the promise; the Constitution was the fulfillment.  I have a pamphlet given to me by a woman back in 1994.  She served on the Commission on the Bicentennial of the United States Constitution, and created pocket Constitutions.  I've kept it ever since.  Every 4th of July, I ferret it out and read as much as time and situation allow.  If you don't have a copy, here's an excellent place to get one.  This is a document every American should read at least once in their lifetime, if not once a year, to remember how special and unique in history, this place aspires to be. 

 
2.  Small Success Thursday...again on Friday
 
I know I should always link on Thursday, but yesterday we were celebrating my birthday!  I plead Chocolate Cake coma. 
 
3.  CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE THIS CAKE CAKE TAKES THE CAKE.  
Seven children yesterday really discovered this experience.  As such, today, there is one slice left, claimed by my theoretically super health conscious daughter, the one who made the cake!  Two don't like chocolate and one doesn't eat frosting so we will just ignore those standard deviations. 
 
My sister hooked me on The Pioneer Woman, here's her take.  My mom made this kind of cake for my birthday for years. It's my favorite and it takes a year to recover from the sugar intake but so so so worth it.  Failing to experience this may be considered an act of extreme willful deprivation.  I admire your steely willpower.   More for me. 
 
4.  This past week, in addition to traveling to Baltimore, feasting on chocolaty goodness and turning 48, we continued my mad quest to declutter our lives doing the 40 bags in 40 days which turns more into 40 bags in 120 days, (as I get to 40 about every two to three days), after which, I need a break.   But I see progress, and that's worth celebrating.   If you'd like to consider doing this sort of purge, and I recommend it, both emotionally and spiritually, they have a Facebook page here.
 
5.  Yesterday, to celebrate turning 48 and get to one of the things on our list, we went to Butler's Orchard and picked what can be also known as Anna and Marta's version of natural crack, blueberries.  We picked more than a bucket full and today, shall make pies.  
 
 
 
6.  Every mother of children who play musical instruments dreams of this: 
 
 
and this: 
 
 
 
and if we're honest with ourselves, we'll settle for this...
 
 
But what we mostly get...is that final scene from the Music man, which I searched for a clip but could not find. The internet has failed me. 
 
7.  All of which means, all of us including me, should go out and stop using the think system to enjoy life.   I'm going to make all of them break out their instruments and play something patriotic while we fire up the grill to make ribs, corn on the cob, and finish it with watermelon and pie. 
 
 
Have a great 4th!  
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Leaving a comment is a form of free tipping. But this lets me purchase diet coke and chocolate.

If you sneak my work, No Chocolate for You!