Monday, April 1, 2013

Small Stones Monday

Monday's Stone

Just before Dawn

they ran to the windows
Awake and aware
when we could be sleeping
because today
in the week before Easter,
we rose to a snow day.


Tuesday's Stone


Seeing For the Forest

It's due tomorrow
she's done her piece
again and again
and sent us to the store for more

While tucking in her brother
she comes to me
the painting should be a bridge
with water reflecting the bridge below it
I cannot see it.
She cannot either.

Panic is gripping her heart.

Turning it sideways,
I see trees.
"Trees." I point out.
"I don't see trees."
"Trees" her brother says too.
"I don't see it!" she shouts.

She leaves, angry at both of us.
I have to go out grocery shopping
her other sister is holding down the fort
and I fret over what state
my artist child's mind might be in.

Half way through the frozen foods
in between the pot pies
and the microwave pizzas
I receive a text message and a picture.
"I CAN SEE THE TREES!!!"

















Wednesday's Stone

He runs for something
He runs from something
He runs because he is 13
He runs away faster
because I am not.
The thing is,
I know he is running
and he will grow tired.
When he does,
dinner will be waiting
I've learned to be the tortoise in this race.


Thursday's Stone

Easter Symphony

The ubiquitous nature
of 24-7 noise
was cut short
by the unexpected beauty
of an Orchestra
of children
noses against the window
each holding their breath
afraid of making a move
when the youngest
caught sight
of the first rabbit of the Spring.


Good Friday Stone

How brave we all feel
saying something daring
when it is popular.
How terrified when
we must speak against the grain.
Everyone loves to think 
they are standing at the precipice
but only those who can see the down side
the great expanse ready to swallow them whole
really are. 

Peter knew the absolute truth
and he ran, he swore, he lied.
I am not ready
I haven't the steel
I like too much to be liked.
I'd like to warm myself by the fire
and be silent.
I could still believe, still follow
if no one noticed me. 
It doesn't work that way
and I knew it. I always knew.
So I will pray not to be put to the test,
or if I am, and I fail, that I return
again and again and again
until I pass. 

The mountain falling on me would be easier.

No comments:

Leaving a comment is a form of free tipping. But this lets me purchase diet coke and chocolate.

If you sneak my work, No Chocolate for You!