Wednesday, November 13, 2019

How Do I Center Myself For Writing

Recently, I received an anonymous comment which I think is spam but here's what it said. I hit delete as I was on autopilot clearing out my inbox. 

First off I would like to say wonderful blog! I had a quick
question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to
know how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.
I have had a difficult time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out.

I do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to
15 minutes are generally lost just trying to figure out
how to begin. Any suggestions or hints? Cheers!"

The Cheers and the passive voice plus the non name make me think, this is canned ham garnished with a piece of parsley, but the question remains.  How do I center myself? 

I don't. I'm comfortablly off kilter, centered people are usually taller.  (I'm watching kids play basketball).  I'm naturally clutzy, both intellectually and physically, so even if I tried to center myself, I'd probably find myself flat on the floor but only after sending my laptop flying.   If my head were clear, I'd not have anything to write.  Cloudy is better.  It means I grope through the words, searching for meaning beyond the obvious, for meaning I didn't know I intended.  The ideas come from the process of being willing to write through the fog, not from clearing the fog to write. 

Fifteen minutes of figuring out how to start is fifteen minutes not spent writing...better to just start. I erase tons of stuff and have loads of unfinished drafts in my blog from ideas that didn't work.  Write, and see if what you wrote makes sense.  Waiting for it to come together means a long wait, and probably, no words. 

Part of what kept me from writing more regularly, is thinking, I don't know what to say ...but then, it's my blog so I can say what I think, and if someone doesn't like it...they don't.   Writing is process as much as it is product, and one can get stymied by wanting the product to be perfect --in which case one doesn't write because the product is flawed, or by wanting to perfect the process, in which case, you don't write because that's just exhausting, to craft it all in your head before you begin. (I can't remember that much, and when I try, it always sounds so much more elegant in my brain than it ever does when I get to the keyboard), so I just get to the keyboard first, and hope editing and process will refine as we go. 

So don't center yourself.  In fact, stand on one leg, off ballance, and say, I'm not going to clear my mind, I'm going to walk through it, and find out what I think by writing until my own thoughts are revealed.   If you weren't a Spammer, I hope this answers your question and I'm sorry I deleted your comment.  If you were a Spammer, thanks for the post but please, no more spam.  Cheers!

No comments:

Leaving a comment is a form of free tipping. But this lets me purchase diet coke and chocolate.

If you sneak my work, No Chocolate for You!