Friday, September 4, 2015

The Very Waffle Pancake Dinner

This week over at Simcha's, we talk about food from the past week.  Unfortunately, with cross country and field hockey and my daughter's new job at Dairy Queen and Back to School Night, dinner has been something of a catch as catch can experience.

Monday...we had...what did we have?   I know my oldest two opted to buy subway before I managed to make dinner.  It was supposed to be pork tenderloin but the pork tenderloin hadn't defrosted and could have been used to club a t-rex to death.  So I think I remember thinking about chickening out and going for fast food for everyone, but instead made the younger ones eggs and toast and gave them pineapple.  No complaints.

Tuesday..pork tenderloin still not tender sitting in the refrigerator, determined to remain a brick. We had...spaghetti with meatballs and red sauce and salad.

Wednesday we had...pork tenderloin and beans and rice and tortillas, and carrots.  Kids complained we ran out of tortillas.

Thursday: I know we had chicken drumsticks and broccoli, left over corn bread, watermelon and white rice. Some of the kids opted for leftover pork tenderloin, mixing it with bbq sauce and having pulled pork.

Friday: I'm voting pancakes and bacon or hot dogs and french fries.  I don't have any great recipes or stories.  I just know, I need to make a menu plan for next week because cooking during the school year is so much harder than cooking during the summer.



Yep.  Pancakes.  


I make mine from scratch using the Southern Living cookbook recipe. The recipe is so beloved, the back of the book has fallen off, half the pages are missing, but it is comforting to use that page, beveled by years of making these things for dinner and any other time we decided, the best cure for whatever it is involves maple syrup.  It's also posted over at My Recipes, but there's something comforting about a cook book so used, it becomes a relic of its prior self.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar 
large egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil 
Preparation


Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
Stir together egg, buttermilk, and oil; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle. Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked; turn and cook other side. Serve with butter and warm maple syrup.  Plus, whenever my kids see me making these things or any other food which involves maple syrup, someone will pull up this video or sing the song...


followed by the attempt to play the Teen Titan's Waffle's game. 

(Where you only say Waffles until someone surrenders).
Hint: I've won this one. 






No comments:

Leaving a comment is a form of free tipping. But this lets me purchase diet coke and chocolate.

If you sneak my work, No Chocolate for You!