Thursday, October 1, 2020

Small Success Thursday

 We need to count our blessings more than usual this year and so while yesterday, I spent some time insulting the year, today, I will remember how grateful I am for the unexpected gifts of 2020.  

In this time of quarantine, my youngest son turned twelve, and in this past six months he learned to ride a bicycle without assistance, to wash dishes, make his bed, take a shower or bath without help, became fully potty trained, can cream his mother in video games, operate the xbox --which I can't, and help out with yard work.  He can make himself breakfast --either cereal or out of a toaster, safely.  He can pour himself juice.  He learned to use a butter knife to spread and make a sandwich, and to cut his own food.   These are all life skills he'll need for the rest of his life, lifeskills he might not have mastered but for the urging of his siblings to have him learn what they know.   

These are stollen moments from ordinary time.  

My husband got to be home for all of his childrens' birthdays this year so far, (our youngest had her birthday on a Sunday so), which has never happened before, because work is downtown.   We've taken walks and said the rosary.  We've danced more. We've sung more. We've baked bread and played cards and it's been like six months of whole time, and that is a gift too.   

This week, I started walking again, with my children, different ones each day, but that too is a gift.  

When I left for college, I remember my not yet eight year old sister running after the car down the street until she got to the corner where we turned away.  My nine year old has been able to enjoy the relationships with her older siblings that wouldn't be here if life were normal.  

None of this means I'm glad that Covid-19 is, or that I want it to last, but I will count the blessings of the day because that is how we are meant to survive crisis and difficulties and sufferings.  We are to look to why we are grateful, when things are hardest, to look for reasons to give praise.  It is the only way to stave off the temptation, the indulgence of becoming discouraged.   

Lastly, my son and I saw a huge rainbow.  We took it as a sign the disease will leave soon, as a reminder that God loves us with His whole heart, and wants all of us home.   

Happy Small Success Thursday! 

No comments:

Leaving a comment is a form of free tipping. But this lets me purchase diet coke and chocolate.

If you sneak my work, No Chocolate for You!