I saw comboxes filled with justifiable horror, and some things which were far less justifiable, condemnations. Yes, these people kill the innocent for money. They do so for a living, it's what they do. As the old joke goes... We’ve already established that. Now we’re just haggling over the price.
We will not convert Cecile Richards via this expose, or the senior director of medical services for all of Planned Parenthood, Dr. Deborah Nucatola or anyone else, even given the ick factor of harvesting human organs from unborn children willfully discarded and destroyed. These are people who must live with themselves and to my understanding, there are only three ways they could manage to get through the day and consider themselves moral agents.
1) They view abortion as a good, not an evil. Because they view it as a good, as a service they provide to the needy; those who oppose it must be willfully blind to the suffering and fear of the women seeking an abortion. Whether because of their faith or ignorance of the reality of said women seeking abortion, those who oppose abortion do not understand the true service provided. Ergo, their opinions don't matter, and can be dismissed.
2) They view abortion as a necessary evil, for the greater good. The end justifies the means, with the goal being a good. (Independence, freedom from pregnancy). Anyone who doesn't, is imposing their morality and again can be dismissed.
3) They view having an abortion as a neutral act, having no morality save that ascribed by the person considering it. As such, they think abortion is something that needs to be destigmatized because it's a hard reality, and having the bonus of morality makes the hard reality worse.
If we're going to win the hearts of people who think we have nothing they need to hear, it will take more than exposes and votes and threats of fire and brimstone. It will take serious love, prayer and fasting.
As incredible as it may seem, for God's mercy and love is beyond ours, that woman sitting discussing her skills at crushing the top and the bottom, like Dr. Kermit Gossnel, and all other advocates who profit from, and push for the continued killing of the innocent, are our brothers and sisters in Christ. They are Saul before his trip to Damascus. They are the slave trader before he began his conversion and eventually penned "Amazing Grace." So I have a proposal for all readers/pro-life advocates/Catholic bloggers out there that made it this far.
Adopt an abortionist, director of a Planned Parenthood, or a politician who advocates for the procedure for the next year. Come up with a doable prayer and fast you can perform on behalf of that person.
"Some demons can only be driven out by prayer and fasting" (Matthew 17:21).
My suggestion is to take one person who is a public face advocating/supporting this grave evil be done to and by human beings. I'd prefer to have two people adopt each person. Your prayers and fasting are up to you. Make it a doable thing, like a Hail Mary a day for the person in question, and a nickle a day for a local Crisis Pregnancy center or a rosary a week, anything you wish, but state the person you wish to claim.
I've chosen Cecile Richards because she is the public face of Planned Parenthood, and I don't think discussion at this point is possible. If we were to sit down at a dinner, and I were to talk about the innate dignity of every human from point one, it would not be heard. If I were to talk about the crime which cries out to God, slaughtering the innocent, it would not be heard. She has come to hold what she does is a good.
My husband has choses Dr. Deborah Nucatola, the woman in the video. We hope others will join in this project for the next year.
Imagine an army of Pauls from the army of Sauls.
1) Cecile Richards
2) Dr. Deborah Nucatola
3) Dr. Kermit Gossnel
4) Dr. Leroy Carhart (Local, does late term abortions).
5) Any member of the Pro-Choice Caucus:
|Federal Caucus Member||Blumenauer, Earl||D-h03||Portland|
|Federal Caucus Member||Brownley, Julia||D-h26||Thousand Oaks|
|Federal Caucus Member||Capuano, Michael E.||D-h07||Randolph|
|Federal Caucus Member||Cohen, Steve I.||D-h09||Memphis|
|Co-Chair||DeGette, Diana L.||D-h01||Denver|
|Federal Caucus Member||Doggett, Lloyd A.||D-h35||San Antonio|
|Federal Caucus Member||Ellison, Keith M.||DFL-h05||Minneapolis|
|Federal Caucus Member||Engel, Eliot L.||D-h16||Bronx|
|Federal Caucus Member||Farr, Sam||D-h20||Santa Cruz|
|Federal Caucus Member||Frankel, Lois J.||D-h22||Boca Raton|
|Federal Caucus Member||Grayson, Alan M.||D-h09||Orlando|
|Federal Caucus Member||Green, Gene||D-h29||Houston|
|Federal Caucus Member||Grijalva, Raul M.||D-h03||Avondale|
|Federal Caucus Member||Honda, Mike||D-h17||Newark|
|Federal Caucus Member||Huffman, Jared W.||D-h02||Ukiah|
|Federal Caucus Member||Kildee, Dan T.||D-h05||Flint|
|Federal Caucus Member||Lee, Barbara J.||D-h13||San Leandro|
|Federal Caucus Member||Loebsack, Dave W.||D-h02||Davenport|
|Federal Caucus Member||Lowey, Nita M.||D-h17||New City|
|Federal Caucus Member||Lujan Grisham, Michelle||D-h01||Albuquerque|
|Federal Caucus Member||McDermott, Jim A.||D-h07||Seattle|
|Federal Caucus Member||Nadler, Jerrold L.||D-h10||New York|
|Federal Caucus Member||Pallone, Frank J.||D-h06||New Brunswick|
|Federal Caucus Member||Pocan, Mark||D-h02||Beloit|
|Federal Caucus Member||Quigley, Mike||D-h05||Chicago|
|Federal Caucus Member||Scott, David A.||D-h13||Smyrna|
|Federal Caucus Member||Sinema, Kyrsten||D-h09||Phoenix|
|Co-Chair||Slaughter, Louise M.||D-h25||Rochester|
|Federal Caucus Member||Titus, Dina C.||D-h01||Las Vegas|
|Federal Caucus Member||Tsongas, Niki S.||D-h03||Fitchburg|
|Federal Caucus Member||Veasey, Marc A.||D-h33||Fort Worth|
7) Prayers are always valid, so pray for the soul of George Tiller --murdered abortionist.
8) Pray for the unknown fathers who have no capacity to protect their children from death.
9) Pray for the nurses and assistants who perform these actions.
10) President Obama and those of his administration that share this view of the unborn as mistakes, punishments, and disposable.
11) Republicans for Choice --I'd list the members but the site ironically does not give any names.
12) Catholics for Choice. They are denying part of Catholic social justice teaching and moral teaching, by advocating dissent on this issue.
13) There are more but that's for anyone who wishes to discern. The goal is to adopt a person, make it personal to you, for whom you will pray as a friend prays for a friend, someone who we hope we either get the privilege of welcoming into Heaven, or the honor of being welcomed by.
We know as Catholics, we will be asked one day, how many did you bring? Did you turn your one, two or ten talents into more, or bury them? Our lives are one giant project to invite everybody.
Let's get to work.